Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Raw Vanilla Ice Cream

Ok, I wanted to make a raw ice cream that tasted like regular creamy dairy vanilla ice cream.  So I started the journey to make the raw ingredients.  However, in the interim I began to study other ingredients (*tapioca flour) to help the ice cream along and then I took a second step.

Tapioca flour provides an emulsification that is equal to eggs. 

I had to make a vegan custard for another recipe and I had some left over, so I though, "how about it".  Traditional ice cream is made by cooking a dairy-based custard and chilling it BEFORE putting it in the ice cream maker.  So I took two procedures and combined them.  It didn't start off that way but it ended in a smooth, delicious product.  I've provided a way to make the ice cream raw and vegan.

I know it seems a bit lengthy so you can make the raw ice cream (w/o the custard) by itself but I found that adding the custard makes for a smoother product - and so nutritionally dense..  Believe it or not, the raw way is quicker.

BTW, I used a low-fat coconut milk.


Raw Ice Cream

1 cup cashews, soaked 2 + hours
1 1/3 cup almond milk or 1 can coconut milk (I prefer the coconut milk)
1/3 cup raw agave  nectar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 vanilla beans or tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cold-pressed coconut oil
1 Tbsp soy or sunflower lecithin

Custard

1  Tbsp Tapioca flour
3 Tbsp agave nectar or 1 1/2 Tbsp evaporated cane sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

To make raw ice cream

Mix all of the ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.  This should take 3-5 depending on what type of blender you have.  The mixture should be smooth when you are done - it shouldn't feel gritty at all.  There should absolutely be no grit.  While you are blending the raw cream, make the custard.

To make the custard - cooked

Combine the tapioca flour and agave (or sugar) in a sauce pan.  Slowly add the coconut milk while whisking until it's mixed very well.  Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

To make the custard - raw version

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Cool both mixtures in the frig.  Once cold, stir the both mixtures.  The nut-ice cream will be rather thick.  Pour in your ice cream maker and operate it according to the directions - I only did mine for about 15 (I was kinda impatient).  Once it's done, feel free to place it in the freezer to ripen, if you'd like.  That's what I did and it was a smooth and creamy product.

Feel free to tell me what you think of it.









No comments:

Post a Comment