Saturday, May 17, 2014

Kale Chips

This was a by-chance discovery.  When I started researching the raw diet, I came across this delicacy.  Believe when I say that I was thinking, "Ewww.  I don't think so," or something like that.  However, I did think so and I tried it and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.  My children where surprised and I knew that I was on to something. 

Since Kale chips are the "healthy" version of potato chips, I decided to make some variations of potato chips.  Salt and Vinegar chips are popular in the African-American community so that's what I tried to imitate and again, it worked.

Ingredients

1 bag of Kale (I buy the cut up kind)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar
1/8 to 1/4 cup of oil
TT Salt
TT Pepper

1 plastic gallon-sized Ziploc bag
Dehydrator, or
thin baking sheet

Procedure

Place oil, vinegar, and seasons in the bag.  Seal and shake until well coated.

Add the kale into the bag - as much as can fit.  Seal and shake until well coated.  Season to taste.

Remove the kale from the bag and place on your dehydrator sheet.  Turn your dehydrator up to 145 degrees for 20 minutes.  Then reduce the temp to 105 degrees and dehydrate until they are crisp (best to do this at night and let the dehydrator run overnight).

If you DON'T have a dehydrator, preheat your oven on the "lowest" setting.  Place your kale on a baking sheet and bake until crisp.  This won't be a raw version but it will still be healthy. 

Uses:  You can eat these alone, sprinkle them over salad or your favorite pasta, or place in salsa (that's what I did).

No comments:

Post a Comment