Monday, January 13, 2014

SMART EATING: Why Menu Plan?

 
Ok, I'm gonna ask an idiot-proof question:  How many of us take the time to "Plan our Menu's"?
 
Now, I was just being bad because I know many of us don't, but why should we????  Take a look at the reasons that I've listed below.  Most of us that cook are working/stay-home mom's with a lot on our shoulders.  We're adding more to our plates and not taking much off.  That's why I like looking at other blogs and instructions that tell me how to save my valuable time and money.  As busy as my children are I have to be with them (whether I want to our not and most of the time I really want to).  They and the hubby somehow can't seem to survive without me even when they're having basic fun.  So I relish being in their lives and I relish the fact that they want me there.

First of all the reason that I like to plan my menu's is because it:
 
1.  Saves time!
 
How many times do we rattle our brains and get all frazzeled because we don't know what to cook for our families?  How many of us stress out over this - and even if you don't stress out, how many of us just don't like to give too much thought to planning what we'll eat for dinner?
 
Menu Planning allows us to:
 
  • Make our grocery list accordingly.
  • Eliminates us from running to the store for "last minute items".
  • No time and mental - energy wasted deciding what's for dinner each night.
 
2.  Saves Money!
 
This was my biggest issue.  I didn't feel like thinking about dinner or I didn't have all of the ingredients for something that I wanted to make so McDonald's here we come.
 
  • Meal Planning means less take out, fast food, and restaurant dinners.
  • Shopping with a list means less impulse buys and wasted food.
  • A simple plan allows you to buy in bulk, shop when items are on sale, and clip your favorite coupons.
  • The money you saved will add up.  Use it for vacations, night out, or extra.
 
3.  Value Your Family's Health!
 
  • Skip the restaurant option which is typically high-fat and sodium.
  • Skip the boxed or frozen "heat and serve" options full of preservatives and additives.
  • YOU can make the choice to bake instead of fry, add veggies and season to YOUR liking.
 
4.  Prevent Obesity!
 
  • Prevent your children from becoming overweight by modeling healthy, balanced eating.
  • Have a better handle on the nutritional content of your meals.
  • Tailor your meals to your family member's specific dietary needs - not every one has peanut allergies or has to conform to a gluten-free diet.  BUT SOME DO!!!!
 
5.  Spend More Time With Your Family!
 
  • By taking the time to menu plan "ahead", you save time during the day and later in the kitchen.
  • Use the time doing the things that matter to you, not running around.
  • Bond as a family around the table.
 
6.  Reduce Stress!
 
  • In a face paced world where we're pulled in a million directions, dinner should not be an added stressor.
  • No more worrying about everything you need to put dinner together.
  • Visit the store weekly, twice a month - with list in hand you can leave the worry behind (this was our blind-fault.  Ugh!).
 
7.  Meal Planning is easy!
 
  • People have done the work for you.
  • You have so many cook books in your house, even develop"ing" on this site, and other places on the web to give you menu ideas.
  • When you get the hang of it, you can only do it twice a month.

Following these simple steps will help save time, $$$, and provide valuable nutrition to our families.  In addition, it can open up so many more ideas for good, healthy eating that you didn't know possible.

What do you think? Gimme your tips and opinions on your healthy habits . . . .and COMMENT BELOW AND PLEASE SHARE.

*taken from Wildtree Organics Products

No comments:

Post a Comment