Thursday, January 30, 2014

Seitan


Barbeque Seitan

























I mentioned on a previous post that  when I was considering  vegetarian, vegan, and even raw  cooking taste was my major  concern.  Most of us don't want to  sacrifice taste when we're switching  over to the better and healthier  eating alternatives - I know I didn't.    So I started the long drawn out  process of experimenting in the  kitchen and driving my family crazy  with recipes and making them eat it  even when they didn't like it.
 
Then it happen.  I stumbled across Seitan in the grocery store.  It was so delicious that I didn't even know I wasn't eating meat.  I read the ingredients list on back and said, "Oh I could make that", and so started the experiments.  Then, finally, I did it.  I made a vegan meat that my family could enjoy.  When you make something healthy that your children love, then you know you did something right.
 
First, we'll start with the Seitan recipe.  Then I'll begin to teach you how to make Steaks, burgers, taco stuff, etc.  Have fun! 
 
Ingredients
  • 1½ c vital wheat gluten
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • ½ tsp chili powder
  • 3/4 - 1 c cold water or veggie broth (I prefer the broth)
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
  • ______
  • 5 c water OR 2.5 cups broth and 2.5 cups water
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
 

Procedure

1.  For the seitan, mix together gluten, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder in a large blender or bowl (I prefer the blender).
 
2.  In a small bowl, mix together water, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
 
3.  Add wet mixture to dry and mix or stir well.  If you're using a blender, the mixture should begin slap around the blender.  That's how you'll know that it's ready.
 
4.  Knead once or twice to work gluten into a ball.
 
5.  Divide into at least 6 parts and shape into rough discs. Don’t be afraid to really work and stretch them out thin; this elastic dough doesn’t respond to gentle handling, and the discs will thicken substantially
as they cook.
 
6.  In a large pot, whisk together 5 cups water, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
 
7.  Place cutlets in broth, cover, and bring to a boil.
 
8.  Reduce heat and simmer cutlets, covered, for 45-60 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
 
9.  When seitan is done, remove from pot and let them drain on a plate.
 
Once the seitan is cool enough to handle, you can slice it thinly or thickly into "steak slices".  You can cube it for "chicken nuggets" or you can grind it in a blender for "ground meat" - that's the once that I love. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment